Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Things that go bump

I've compared trying to change Rebecca's nappy with trying to wrestle a squid with one hand (my use of one hand, not the squid). She is full of energy, and want to grab, chew, feel, get to everything she can see. This is fantastic to watch but hard to handle - especially with a nappy overflowing with runny poo.

Today that urge to get to whatever she sees took her over the edge, literally. She was just after being washed by her Mummy and was sitting well in on the bed in her bedroom (no, she does not use the bed yet) and must have caught sight of some toys in a basket on the floor beside her chest of drawers. I am thinking she could be a contender for gold medals in either or both long and high jumps in the future as she really had to lunge to get off the edge of the bed. Head first. No fear.

The thud as she hit was something else, and thank the Lord she hit off the basket and not directly onto our hardwood floors. The scream was horrible and sent a shiver down both Mummy's and my own spine. I know from the pediatric first aid course I did a few months ago that it is a good thing she started to scream and cry, but it is still horrible to see our little baby in pain.

Needless to say, cuddles cold cloth and frozen peas (to cool the cloth) were all in use for the following half hour. I think she will have a bruise later today but she is back in flying form and I know it is the first of many falls. I just hope not too many.

A conversation about replacing the floors with carpet is going to be had this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment