Sunday, June 19, 2011

First Fathers Day!

Today was my first Fathers day.

As always when I won't see him I rang my own father. He is a great father, and it got me thinking about this new role I have assumed for Rebecca. I am thinking back to the role my father played in my growing up, not to mention my adult life.
As a child Dad was always there to ask questions of, always the arbitrator of fights, the ultimate voice in all things - be it who won a game, what time we can wrangle to stay up till, or the all important pocket money negotiations. Those are the things I remember, that and his smile. What isn't a memory exactly, but is far more important is the security of knowing Dad is always there if something goes wrong. Like mum Dad will always be on my side, but Dads have an authority of force, a might, a presence that is as permanent as a mountain.

Big boots to fill. I hope I can somehow manage to provide Rebecca the same role model, protector and Dad.

We started our fathers day with a feed, a snooze, and then dressed in a 'cool' wine GAP outfit her Godmother gave her. Suitably dressed (Dad even wore a shirt for the occasion) we drove to town and parking at one end walked the length of Main Street to the shops and bought a few items for the dinner. There is a huge warm proud feeling in my chest as walk along, and it isn't just the end of the flu. I felt like I was ten feet tall - I'm Dad and this is my amazing daughter.
I don't know why I felt it more yesterday than other days, but I did. I think it was realising that I'm a Daddy now, and I'm not doing too bad at it either. It is one thing being a father day to day, it's another realising you are that father and love it.

We played together most of the rest of the day, and I ended my day with a coffee in the 'Worlds Best Dad' mug which Rebecca had given me. A great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment