Monday, June 20, 2011

Another first

I feel very guilty. I've made my baby sick.

I had a flu, which became a cold after a few days, and is currently just a cough. I was pretty sure it was all passed but it mustn't have been as our lovely Rebecca had a runny nose last night and a little bit of a temperature. It is the first time she has been sick.

She is such a little trooper though - still full of smiles and laughter, but she did wake her Mummy every hour during the night with crying. I got the easy side of the scale - I'd work today, and also didn't want to pass anything else on to her.

We used a few things which I am noting because they may help other parents -

First off, the obvious one: calpol. That was before I got to the chemist and just worked with the temperature.

There was also from the same crew, calpol nasal spray, which has done wonders but I have to say I am a chicken when ti comes to sticking things up a babes nose so have had to bow to my stronger willed wife.

Next is karvol capsules. This is a decongestant vapour which I got in capsules. You break one over a muslin square -well, actually it was one of my old socks (clean!) in our case - and leave it somewhere near enough to where the baby will be sleeping.

The last one is as important, but very hard to find in the shops: stick a couple of books under the mattress so that she is slightly raised, allowing her sinuses to drain more easily.

So far so good - about 22 hours in and she is in good form, coughing a little but other than that no running nose and eating her food.

No comments:

Post a Comment